Camera Skills Intermediate | Five-session course | 2017 dates coming soon
(Images: Joe Cali)
Camera Skills Intermediate | five-session course
Take your photography to the next level. This intermediate course follows on from Camera Skills, and is designed to give you the tools to master your camera, and develop your individual camera craft. In five sessions over four weeks, you will expand your skills, explore advanced techniques and take creative control of your photography. In addition to four Tuesday evening sessions, you will take one Saturday field trip to work creatively with different lighting conditions.
- Introduction, discussion: What makes a good photograph? What is the most important thing in photography?
- Bring your favourite photograph (your own or one you really like from books, magazines, postcards etc)
- Composition – communicating your vision. Composing to engage a viewers attention
- Discuss participants aspirations; developing your own style
- Overview camera types and controls, film types and formats, exposure and metering, apertures, shutter speeds, film speed , creative controls
- What are the critical settings that make a real difference to results in the menu of a DSLR?
- Optimizing depth of field
- Bring SLR and/or digital camera (with instruction manual, if available)
- Bring in some of your own images, new and old. Discuss images
- Light, the photographer’s paint palette: properties, direction, types
- Advanced camera skills – using on camera flash. (Built in vs external, bounce, fill, compensated fill, soft boxes and light modifiers)
- Field trip (location and time to be decided)
- Bring SLR camera (with instruction manual, if available) and other equipment if you have it (tripod, other lenses, filters)
- Process images before the final class
- Discuss results; bring in all processed and printed images from the course
- What to do with the images once you have taken them
- Getting enlargements, framing, exhibitions, publishing
- Presentation techniques
- Overview and questions
Joe Cali - Joe has been involved in photography for more than 30 years, as a photographer, exhibitor, curator, and educator. Over the past 20 years he has taught workshops at PhotoAccess on a wide range of topics. He has also taught workshops for the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra Museum and Gallery and Tuggeranong Arts Centre.
What to bring?
Camera (digital SLR camera or mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera), charged batteries, memory card and camera manual (if possible).
2017 dates and times coming soon.
$320 (for current PhotoAccess members)
$355 (including 12 months membership of PhotoAccess)
Sign-up with a friend and save $10 each conditions apply
Maximum number of participants: 10 (spots available)
Who is this class for? Confident beginners to intermediate and advanced photographers. Completion of Camera Skills (or equivalent experience) is highly recommended. Contact us for further guidance on whether this course is right for you.